Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Talking Business with PJ Charnock of Clayful Memories



Today we are chatting with stay-at-home mom and fellow preacher's wife PJ Charnock. Last week we introduced Clayful Memories, PJ's custom ceramics business. Now we get to hear a little more about the mom behind the business and how she creates such beautiful pieces of art.


1. Hey, PJ! Thanks so much for joining us on the Beautiful Chaos blog. Tell us a little about yourself and your family.

My name is PJ and I’m married to Robert. We have 3 little red-headed boys named Eli, Noah, and August.
I have a degree in music education, which is how I met my husband as he was a music major too. I taught privately for a couple of years at a music school then decided to stay home with my babies. We currently live outside Memphis, TN and my husband preaches for the Munford church of Christ in Munford, TN.


2. I love the hand and foot prints you create, but I know that's not all you offer. What else do you make?

My focus is on hand/foot prints of children, but I also play around with other little gifts: soap dishes, essential oil diffuser necklaces, jewelry, ornaments, jewelry dishes, spoon rests, etc.


image 03. What does being a SAHM with a home business look like for you? How do you produce and market your work while raising your family?

It can be chaotic haha. I don’t have a set work schedule. I kind of just fit it in where I can. Sometimes while the kids are sleeping I’ll stay up late to work, or my husband might keep the kids while I get some work finished. Sometimes I’m working while the kids are occupied eating or playing. My busy seasons are Mother’s Day and Christmas so during those times my husband spends a lot more time occupying the kids while I get things done. I spend the rest of the year resting, planning, and marketing.


4. How did you first become interested in working with ceramics?

While I was teaching music I also had a part-time nanny job. In the nursery of the house I worked at, there was a pink ceramic hand/foot print plaque. I fell in LOVE with it. When I became a mother I got one for my baby and I adored it. I thought that if I loved these pieces so much, other people would too, and I would enjoy being a part of giving families something to cherish. Art and babies is a perfect combo for my right-brained self  J


image 05. How do you create pieces for long distance customers? I find it fascinating that you are able to make hand prints for people living hundreds of miles away. How do you do that?

When someone orders from my Etsy shop, they receive a kit in the mail that contains a special clay and everything they need for capturing the impression. They then send their prints back to me and I use it to make whatever piece they’ve ordered. I make the process really easy for the customer.


6. In general, how quick is your turnaround from receiving an order to shipping?

I send the kit out within a week. Once I get the return prints back, I get the finished piece back to the customer in 4-8 weeks. Part of that time is because the clay has to dry completely or else it explodes in the kiln (this can take up to 2 weeks). Other factors are the amount of orders I have at the same time, the glazing time and drying, and kiln firing (which takes two days).


7. I noticed that you offer essential oil diffuser necklaces. I love that! Can these be reused with different scents, or is it best to stick with one oil per necklace?

It can be reused with different oils. I don’t think it hurts to combine oils, but even if one didn’t want to do that, I include instructions to clean the pendant.


8. You appear to be quite successful in your niche. What advice can you pass on to my readers to help them develop their businesses while making sure it doesn’t take over their family life?

image 0First, you have to find a business that works for you. I tried other self-employed businesses before but failed at them because I couldn’t truly be my own boss, and because I wasn’t passionate about the product. This business is something I can do on my own time. I can take time off whenever I need to. I can schedule things around my family. I don’t have to feel pressure from a company with how much I sell. 
Second, know your boundaries. There have been good opportunities to come up for me that I’ve had to turn down because it didn’t align with my family goals. I have set rules in place for what I will and will not offer because of efficiency of time, cost, time away from family, and my mental health. I could make a lot more money if I spent more time away from my family to work but I have to remember that I do this to support my endeavor to stay at home with my kids instead of replacing it. You have to be willing to say no, go slow, and make less dough (I couldn’t pass up that opportunity to rhyme  J)


9. How can my readers order their custom ceramics? Do you have a website?

I’ve transitioned to only using Etsy for online orders. It makes the process much easier! www.ClayfulMemories.etsy.com


"You have to be willing to say no, go slow, and make less dough." I love that line! It's so true - we've got to keep our focus where it's supposed to be! Thanks again for your time, PJ!

So there ya go, friends! Now you know a little more about the process and what all PJ can create for you. Be thinking about what you want to order because Christmas is almost here and you want to be sure you have enough time to get that precious ornament for your tree!

[Disclosure: This post was part of a series that received compensation - but that doesn't affect my opinion that you really, really should place an order from Clayful Memories!]

Are you a stay-at-home mom with a home business you'd like to see featured on the Beautiful Chaos blog? Contact me at servingfromhome@gmail.com!


No comments:

Post a Comment