Monday, December 31, 2018

Here's To All That Didn't Get Done In 2018




My mom made a gingerbread house with us every year that I can remember growing up. It’s a tradition I’ve carried over into my little family’s holiday celebrations. This year, however, it just didn’t happen. I kept meaning to mix up the dough and cut out pieces to create a miniature model of our new house, complete with blue frosting for our pretty blue roof. But… Life.

I’m 8 months pregnant, we’re getting ready to publish a book and launch a podcast series while also trying to design three websites, start a home business, work two part-time jobs, keep up with full-time Church work, and maintain our regular homeschooling life. There were a lot of things we enjoyed as a family over Christmas break. Making a gingerbread house from scratch was not one of them.

We DID decorate a gingerbread house. It was one of those store bought kits that my mom mailed to us. The kind that comes with the cookies already baked and ready to puzzle into place. It was fun! It was cute! But it was really eating at me that it wasn’t the way I’ve always done things. It bugged me even more that it was on my list of things to do and I didn’t get it done.

I’ve always been big on traditions. When I was a kid, it wasn’t Christmas unless Mom made her signature White Hot Chocolate recipe while we decorated the tree. Everything had to be just so or it wasn’t worth doing. As a mom of six, I’m learning to let go of my picture-perfect idea of how things are “supposed” to go and just enjoy the moments as they come.

Did my kids notice that we didn’t make the dough from scratch? No. Did they notice that the commercial frosting was full of corn syrup and tasted ten years old? Nope. Did they complain about the lack of effort that went into building the house or that it was too “easy”? Um… No.

They had a blast sticking candy to the sides and getting their hands gooey with frosting. They can’t wait to smash and eat it tonight at our New Year’s Eve party. To them, the house is as real as any other we’ve made. Thankfully, my unmet expectations didn't ruin it for them.

So, I’m letting go of the fact that this is the first year of my life that I can remember ever not making a gingerbread house from scratch. I’m also letting go of the fact that we are way behind in my son’s reading program. And that we didn’t get to go camping this year. And that I didn’t finish my 2018 New Year’s Resolution – or even get close to finishing! I’m letting go of aaallll the bazillion things that didn’t get done this year, and heading into 2019 with much fewer expectations.

I’m refocusing on the important things and realizing that I don’t have to complicate life by trying to make it “just so.” Life can really be much more simple than that. After all, “He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?” (Micah 6:8).

So, here’s to all that didn’t get done in 2018. And to all that probably won’t get done in 2019, let’s go ahead and acknowledge you, too. This was still a good year. Next year is still going to be a good year, even without all you little unfulfilled expectations. Some of you were things that should have been done. Some were things I’m glad didn’t end up getting done. But none of you have any impact on whether our next year is going to be full of love and kindness and justice and GOD. So, here’s a moment of silence in remembrance of all you little things that didn’t get done:


Now… Buh-Bye!

I hope all my mommy friends are headed into 2019 without the guilt of the undone, too. This next year is not defined by the last. All you did in 2018 to love you kids, bless your family, and serve God has not gone unnoticed by Him. It was work well done. Don’t throw the beauty away because it didn’t look exactly like you wanted. Dust off the unfinished and start fresh.

Happy New Year, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment