Wednesday, April 25, 2018

The Death of a Dream: Getting Into Debt


On April 6, 2018, a childhood dream died.

We took out our first loan. 

Ever since I was a preteen girl sitting in on my parents’ Dave Ramsey class, I had this wild dream of paying cash for a house and never. Ever. going into debt.

....I'll pause here for you to laugh....

As we all know, life happens and saving that kind of money takes gazelle intensity, and probably fewer kids with fewer major medical emergencies. 

I hate debt. I really, really do. It can quickly drown you and gets out of your hands faster than a terrified lizard drenched in oil. (Is that a saying? It should be.) However, I also recognize that going into debt is not necessarily a sin, and it is sometimes necessary.

With the end of our lease looming and the cost of rentals rising, we simply couldn’t afford to keep renting in this area. We have five monkeys, and no one would rent us less than a 4 bedroom house, at about $1800 a month. Yikes.

By the grace of God and the generosity of our brothers and sisters, we’ve been able to avoid debt up till now, but we’ve built up very little savings. So, we came to terms with the fact that buying a house with cash was out of the question. Sigh. Good-bye, Childhood Dream! You kept me out of a lot of trouble, but you’re just no longer practical.


I then entered that bargaining stage of grieving my broken dreams. Like, what if we bought a really, really cheap house and paid it off really, really fast? That would still kinda-sorta be the same, right? Um, no, not really. Nonetheless, our hopes high, we began our house hunting search only looking at properties under $50,000. It didn’t take long to tour all two of those dilapidated, uninhabitable homes.

Mmmk. We bumped it up to $100k. While we found more properties that were technically livable, we didn’t find any that didn't require pretty immediate repairs costing at least $25k. And most of those had mold problems. I’m allergic to mold. So, yeah. No.

With spring fast approaching (a.k.a. the end of our lease) we bit the bullet and got preapproved with our bank in order to find out just how much we would be allowed to borrow. You know, just out of curiosity.

Do you know something? Banks are crazy! I’m not one of those people who is all hush-hush about finances. I don’t care if you know how much we make, so I’m going to go ahead and tell you that with Joshua’s preaching salary and his part-time job driving a school bus, we make about $48,000 a year. He hasn’t been with his part-time job for 2 years yet, so the bank doesn’t count that income. And they STILL would let us borrow $135,000. 

Let’s just think about that for a second. They are willing to let a family of 7 (who, for their purposes, makes less than $30,000 a year) borrow one hundred and thirty-five THOUSAND dollars; which, over the course of 30 years, is going to actually cost $240,992.39. And we’re supposed to actually be able to pay that off. On $30k a year. With 5 kids. Does this strike anyone else as COMPLETELY INSANE? Or is it just me? No wonder people are foreclosing right and left. Who can seriously, actually, raise a family and keep up a mortgage on $30k these days??? 

Sorry. I’m probably overreacting. But, guys, debt! It’s CRAZY! In reality, we make more than $30k, so yes, we can afford that kind of mortgage. But the fact that they are willing to let us borrow over 4 times our countable income… It’s a conspiracy. They don’t WANT you to pay off your debt…

Anyway. End rant.

So, what did we do? We bought a house for $135,000 of course…

I know. You’re never supposed to buy as much as you qualify for. But… We did. And we truly believe that this house is a blessing from God. It’s already completely handicap accessible, and in an area with mostly two-level homes, that is a huge deal. Little Miss is loving how easily she can get around in her wheelchair!

But, I can’t completely forget Dave Ramsey. He’s still influencing my financial dreams.

Enter, More-Practical-But-Still-Kinda-Sketchy Grownup Dream: Pay off our mortgage in less than 7 years. 


Why 7? Because 7 years is the length of indentured servanthood. And I don’t want to be a servant of the bank for longer than that (see Proverbs 22:7).

Can we do that on an income of less than $50,000? Who knows. Want to find out? I’m inviting you along as a spectator. To hold ourselves accountable and stay motivated, we’re going to keep track of how much extra we’re able to put toward the mortgage. I plan on posting updates here so that you can follow the journey.

A couple things before we begin, though. I always hesitate to post financial articles. People are weird about money. They just are. It’s one of those taboo topics that you’re not supposed to talk about in polite society. It’s never made me uncomfortable to talk finances, but I know it can make some people a little uneasy, and I hate to do that. I don’t want you to feel like I’m being judgy about how you spend your money, or like I’m bragging about how we spend ours. That’s totally not why I am doing this. I just think it’s fun, interesting, and a good way for me to stay focused. That’s all. If it inspires you to slash some of your own debt, cool. If it makes you uncomfortable, I will NOT be offended if you choose to skip these posts.

Secondly, putting all this out there makes me a little uncomfortable. I know, I know, I know. I just said I don’t mind talking personal finances. And that’s mostly true. But, there is a part of me that says, Don’t do it. Somehow, someway, someone will use this against you. Maybe that fear comes from the fact that we’re on support. A preacher’s family on support has to be very careful about revealing personal details. (Or, so I’m told.) Maybe it’s because I don’t like failing and I recognize that paying off that much money in 7 years is doomed to failure really hard. At any rate, I was very hesitant to do this. After some prayer, consideration, and discussion with my husband, I came to the conclusion that those are partly valid and partly unnecessary concerns, and that ultimately the benefits outweigh the risks.

So. If you’ll agree not to maniacally use this information against my family and promise not to make too much fun of me when we don’t pay off our loan in 7 years ecstatically celebrate with us when we succeed, you’re welcome to follow our progress!

Purchase Price: $135,000
Interest Rate: 4.625%
Down Payment: $8,700 (this included a $6,000 grant)
Loan Amount: $126,300
Monthly Payment (including insurance and taxes): $974.51

 Expected Payoff Date: April 6, 2025



No comments:

Post a Comment